Venezuelan-born Elsa Elena Escobar loves to share her society through the delightful recipes she produces. In 2018, she shared her recipe with us for mochachino almond Christmas log cookies, which transpire to be gluten-cost-free.
Mochachino almond Christmas log
Can make 24 cookies
For the cookie:
3½ cups almond flour or almond meal
1 cup granulated white sugar
3 massive egg whites
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon fast espresso powder
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon Khalua, eggnog or any liquor you want. (Can substitute it for 1 tablespoon of any fruit jam or jelly of your preference)
For the decoration:
1 egg white, a little beaten with a fork
Pinch of salt
1½ cups sliced almonds, put in a pie plate
Purple candied cherries, cut in 50 percent
Eco-friendly candied cherries, lower in fourths
Powdered sugar for dusting the cookies after baking
1. For the cookies: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a modest bowl, dissolve the instant coffee powder and the cocoa powder with the tablespoon of boiling h2o. Add the almond extract and the liquor, if working with, to the combination.
3. Combine the almond flour and ½ cup of the sugar in a medium bowl. Established apart.
4. In a big mixing bowl, making use of an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until eventually comfortable peaks are fashioned. Add the remaining ½ cup of sugar and preserve beating for 1 minute. Add the coffee and cocoa combination.
5. Increase the flour and sugar combination to the egg white mixture and fold thoroughly until eventually nicely blended and a sticky dough is fashioned.
6. Divide the dough into 24 balls. Roll every single ball into a log and spot on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. You will have 24 logs on the baking sheets. (To roll the balls far more easily, damp your fingers with a bit of h2o, when needed).
7. For decoration: Take just about every log from the baking sheet, roll into the egg white combination 1st and then roll into the sliced almonds. Place the logs back on the baking sheet and enhance them with the purple and eco-friendly candied cherries. Press the 50 percent red candied cherry in the heart of the log and the quarter environmentally friendly cherries at the sides, resembling a Christmas flower.
8. Bake the cookies for 20 minutes or until evenly business. If you choose a crispier cookie, depart in the oven for 1 or 2 minutes additional.
9. Allow neat 10 minutes on the baking sheets. Transfer them to a wire rack to interesting totally. Dust the cookies with the powdered sugar.
Notice: These cookies can be piped far too. Use a pastry bag with a massive star tip, such as the Ateco 827. The logs will be a little bit much more practical because of to the texture of the suggestion marks.
Can be stored in an airtight container for two or much more months at space temperature. They freeze pretty nicely for 2 to 3 months.